Why Indian Market needs to mature?
There is no doubt about the size of Indian market & the exponential growth chances available here but there are many limitations that make the path worth avoiding rather than devouring.
Let me share some points that I feel contribute to the same:
- CHEAP Services / products: Why do we need everything premium in Quality but cheap in pricing? I mean do end clients realise that people in customer service, sales, products etc are all expensive. Labour is no longer cheap so expecting products or services for cheap is a crime. Yes, its exploitation because there will still be many who will bid for the work by keeping minimalistic profit margins and take that work.
- Lack of Ethics: Sorry but its true! I get close to 15 calls a day asking for quotes for random services. In fact, all my business networking groups, aspiring entrepreneurs have asked for quotes. They never get back. Wondering why? because they simply want to take that ball park figure & go out in the market to find people/ companies to negotiate & get the lowest possible deal. I have heard they end up switching companies or freelancers because someone ran with their money or the others didn’t bother working.
- Freelancing: The first 2 points are leading me to this. Freelancing is a mother of Cheap services & Lack of ethics. You don’t trust, try it!!. 90% of people are scam….half of these people who don’t know what they are offering or what you need & the remaining are not in a hurry to deliver project. They are working around their own daily targets. I met someone a FB group selling websites for INR 3000 only. Out of curiousity, I advised the person to sell it for FREE. Obviously, he didn’t understand the sarcasm & tagged me as someone wanting freebees. 🙂 Point to note: he later explained that 3000 was for hosting & domain registration, the rest is add on. I totally had mixed feelings after this…felt happy because anyone looking for the cheapest service, deserves this & felt angry because anyone qualified for the job lost their chances because of an idiot.
- Unnecessary Meetings: Something, I have completely failed to understand is Why do people need meetings?? I mean why? What s it that you want to discuss that can’t be discussed over a Skype or call?
- Credit Period: Have you ever seem a sign board “aaj nagad, kal udhar“. This issue is not just limited to companies trying to create a marketing budget & need time to come in the follow. This is issue with major players. We have had the honour to work with leading brands but don’t fancy them simply because they follow a policy of Credit period. Its not a week or a month credit period. Instead, the minimum is between 60 days to 90 days. I mean how are you suppose to feel when a brand account comes on board? Feel happy about displaying their logo on your website or worry about paying for the entire team for next 2 months from your own pockets? Why brands why?
Obviously, I would love to add so many more points but let’s cover them later.
BTW, do you relate to this? What are your tricks to flourish in Indian market? Do let me in know in the comment section.